Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Subscribe to Atom

God's Pleasure

I have one simple question today. Is God pleased with you? Often in our lives we seek the approval of colleagues, friends, and our spouses, but how often do we look to God for approval? In the Bible there are two occurrences where God speaks about people directly that have gained his approval. The first one we find in an exchange with Moses regarding the Children of Israel.

Let's look at Exodus 33:13-17. What an amazing request to ask God. So simple, yet so profound. “If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you.” What I find even more awesome is the reply that God gives him. “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know your name.” Such a great testimony to have directly from God himself.

One other occurrence that is actually recorded four times (once per Gospel) is when Jesus went to John the Baptist to be baptized.

In Mark 1:9-11, not settling for a simple whisper, God tears open heaven and exclaims “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.” It’s reminiscent of a Father standing up at a baseball game and yelling “That’s My Boy!”

So how do you know if you are pleasing God? There have been multiple books, sermons, and other writings on this subject for years, but I think the best example again comes direct from the Word. The author of Hebrews is speaking about Enoch when he writes this passage.

Let's look at Hebrews 11:5-6.So here we see that the fancy Latin term Sola fide (Faith Alone) rings true. By faith alone can you please God. The author of Hebrews makes it even clearer by stating “And without faith it is impossible to please God.”

So to answer the simple question posed above, you have to ask yourself one simple question. Do you have Faith?

Hebrews 11:1-2
1 - Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
2 - This is what the ancients were commended for.

Bookmark Digg Bookmark Del.icio.us Bookmark Reddit Bookmark StumbleUpon Bookmark Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment